High art on the North Shore.. The Venue Founded in 1980 as part of Northwestern University's arts complex, this museum is distinguished by a special collection of works on paper and significant outdoor bronze sculptures as well as traveling exhibitions, a permanent collection, thoughtful publications and educational programs. They also show art films occasionally as part of the Block Films series.
The Collection European and American prints and drawings from the 1920s to 1940s, as well as medieval and modern prints from Northern Europe, make up the bulk of the more than 200 works on paper in the collection. Each year the museum puts together several exhibitions that draw on this resource and contribute to art scholarship. Exhibitions such as "Stark Impressions: Graphic Production in Germany 1918-1933," and "Second Sight: Printmaking in Chicago, 1935-1995" have probed the relationship of graphic arts and early 20th-century society. An outdoor sculpture garden designed in 1989 by high-profile architect John Vinci holds 15 works by major 20th-century artists such as Jean Arp, Henry Moore, Jacques Lipchitz and Joan Miró.